How One Financial Organization Empowered Their Members to Get, Stay, and Be Well Through Wellness Coaching
For the last four years, the largest member-owned credit union in the U.S. has partnered with Premise Health to support their workforce with wellness coaching to keep them healthy and improve their overall quality of life.
For employees who have a lot on their plate, being able to balance work, life, family, and their health can be a daunting task. To build a culture of self-care and wellness and encourage employees to get ahead of potentially high-cost conditions, our client needed a way to offer personalized support and guidance so their people could make positive changes in all aspects of their lives.
Working with a wellness coach that can hold you accountable to healthy lifestyle choices can make an exponential impact on your quality of life long-term. It can also help identify and get ahead of future health problems too.
Already partnered with Premise Health to provide primary care, condition management and physical therapy to their eligible population, our client set out to offer integrated wellness coaching for members.
Taking a holistic approach rooted in the principles of lifestyle medicine, the wellness coaching program focused on:
- Dedicated wellness coaches at four centers in Virginia and Florida
- Coaching sessions available digitally and in person
- A plan tailored to the individual’s needs and strengths
- Short and long-term goals set by the member
- Individual coaching, group programs, and health resources like podcasts, seminars, and more
- Weekly or bi-weekly sessions
- 30- to 60-minute appointments
- 3 to 6 months of support on average
- All coaches certified by Wellcoaches® or a National Board for Health and Wellness Coaching approved program
- Trusted accountability partner for lifestyle change
Along the way, wellness coaches worked directly with members to determine the best course of care and offer evidence-based advice on healthy eating, stress management, movement, how to take time for self-care, and more.
Part of the Integrated Care Team
Wellness coaches serve as a member on the larger care team, proactively collaborating with primary care providers, physical therapists, condition managers, and more to ensure that individuals stay on track and see progress throughout their wellness journey.
Since our client implemented wellness coaching services in 2018, over 1,000 members have tapped into the support that wellness coaches can offer. Not only that, but on average, those members scheduled nine appointments each, showing just how valuable they find the continued support of a coach. In a post-program assessment*, participating members reported:
- 53% improved eating habits
- 33% increase in moderate or vigorous exercise
- 73% more awareness of personal strengths and ability to overcome barriers to wellbeing
*2021 lifestyle assessment results. Percentages rounded to the nearest whole number.
One member, who claimed coaching was “the best decision they have made for themselves” recalled feeling as though coaching made setting achievable goals “a new normal”. They reported having success adapting to a healthier lifestyle with low impact exercise, a plant-based diet, and more time invested in their wellbeing.
“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to work with…my coach because with all her guidance, positive support, and the accountability part I was able to do a lifestyle change. If I ever fall back, I have the tools to support me now and feel more confident.”