Survey of 255 U.S. employers demonstrates commitment to increasing healthcare value for employees
In a recent survey of 255 U.S. employers, global advisory firm Willis Towers Watson found 45 percent are planning to enhance healthcare for their workforces by implementing strategies such as onsite or nearsite health centers, high-performance networks and centers of excellence by 2021.
Another 32 percent have already adopted one or more of these strategies, which aim to increase access to high-quality, cost-effective healthcare for workers and their dependents.
The survey found:
- 38% of employers are considering opening a health center at their workplace location to provide preventive, primary and urgent care by 2020.
- 26% plan to offer a nearsite health center to reach workers close to where they live.
- 26% of employers already offer a health center at their workplace location.
- 8% already offer a nearsite health center.
- 80% of respondents plan to include Centers of Excellence within a health plan by 2020 — up from 51% in 2018.
- 65% of respondents plan to include high-performance networks by 2020 — compared to 28% of employers with high-performance networks incorporated into their plan in 2017.
The survey reflected employers’ growing interest in comprehensive solutions that increase the value of healthcare their workers receive. By offering onsite and nearsite health in conjunction with strategies that connect workers who need higher levels of care to quality providers in their communities, they can achieve results far beyond those of any single solution.
As Kara Speer, national onsite health leader for Willis Towers Watson, points out:
“Onsite and nearsite health centers can play a role in this not only by the care delivered within the walls of the center but also by improving the health outcomes resulting from referrals to high-performing providers and COEs in the community.”
Survey respondents collectively employ 4.2 million people, operating in all major industry sectors. They ranged in size from 100 employees to more than 25,000.